After many years of admiring costumers online, I have decided to join their ranks. This is the first post of many as I journey through Tudor and Elizabethan costuming, dotted with random articles about life as a college student in general. I cannot guarantee that I will write often, but having a spot to place my babbles will encourage me to grow.
My skill level is somewhere between extremely poor and dear lord why is she even trying. I have the most grandiose plans in my head of dresses and trims and hats, but mostly they just fail to come to fruition. The most success I have had so far is in jewelry making for my costume, and will gladly offer my services to anyone through my Etsy store or by email. That being said, I find it extremely frustrating that nothing I dream of works, and make it my mission to learn the tricks of the trade in both jewelry making and costuming.
Previous attempts at costuming include trying to make my own 12th century surcoat. The result was too think in some sections and way too long. The slits on the side were not as long as pictured, and I gave up halfway through trying to make the trim. I lament this experiment because I thoroughly failed - it does not matter that it wasn't perfect, but I didn't even complete it. And of course, now my preferred style is much more complicated than that. Thankfully, however, I already have a headstart.
Thanks to the wonderful hands at Very Merry Seamstress, I have a gorgeous gown inspired by the famous portrait of Elizabeth I. The gown itself is deep red silk embroidered with a leave/scroll motif. The underskirt and sleeves are gold brocade. I have also purchased a French Hood separately that doesn't quite match (this is my next project!) and have slowly been adding to my costume year after year.
Most of my additions come around this time of year - October and November - due to the Texas Renaissance Festival. I have been too shy to join a local SCA group (more on this story later), so for now, this is my only occasion to wear my garb. I average 4 or 5 weekends (8 total), and enjoy simply walking around. I am still perfecting my expressions and speech, but I am very optimistic about this year. The festival has already begun, yet I have not been. My first weekend will more than likely be in 2 weeks, which is the pirate themed, so I will wear my pirate style garb. The following weekend will be my debut of my additions to my dress, so I have a firm timeline to complete my projects!
This year I am working on the following additions before October 27th - beaded trim for my dress to match a previously purchased girdle belt, a matching french hood, and finally perfecting my speech! I shall post updates of each project as I complete them, but for now, welcome to my journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment