Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Project 1: French Hoods - Part 2

I thought the battle was complete once I wrestled the wire onto the base. I was dead wrong. In theory, this is the easiest part of the hood - just sewing the outer fabric together and putting it on. If I had decided to be period correct and used hand-sewing, it probably would have been. But no. I decided to be lazy and use the machine. Too bad my machine had other plans for the night that included fighting with me for several hours.

I'd like to take a second right here to interject that I blame my malfunctioning machine for my lack of enthusiasm to actually create anything. The truth is, the machine only fights with me because I do not know how to properly use it. Furthermore, when I actually do get it running, my stitches do not follow the edge of the fabric, and usually go in crazy places. So, to be fair to my lovely Singer, the fault is my own. That being said, I still believe my machine purposely sabotaged my efforts to complete this project.

I decided to pick a burgundy silk for the hood - it would have been lovely to match the same embroidered pattern as my gown, but I was able to find a raised diamond embroidery instead. The color match is perfect, and the additional design adds a little interest to the piece, I think. The back fabric was originally planned as a matte black satin or silk, but in my excitement at finding the burgundy silk, I forgot to purchase any. So instead, I used a black satin with an embroidered design that resembles my gown's design. I think it worked out pretty well in the end.

I apologize for the lack of photos. I was, actually, quite embarrassed at my work. The inside looks horrid - the stitches are not even or straight, and I still wrestled with the machine, producing lumps in some areas. However, once I turned the fabric right-side out and got the base in there, it looks pretty good! So alas, the pictures I have are of the (semi) finished product.

That horrible crease!! Now I know better than to cut in the middle - that or steam out any creases. Hopefully it's not too late! I think I did a pretty good job of getting the design straight. It's a little off to the left, but otherwise not too shabby!

Here's the back side - the design looks very similar to my gown, and I guess it worked out because it adds a little interest to the back, too!
I'm still playing around with ideas on how to attach the hood to my head  - comb? ribbon ties? hot glue? Only time will tell. But, at least I'm almost done with this project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment